March 24, 2011 | Toronto, Ontario
Please click on the presentation titles to download the PowerPoint show.
Maintaining Public Confidence through Good Governance
Deanna Williams, Registrar, Ontario College of Pharmacists
- Balancing competing interests - public's right to know, practitioner's right to due process
- Issues of reputation and risk
- Training of board/council members re: the governance role
Strategic Issues versus Tactical Issues
Caroline MacIsaac-Power, Registrar, College of Opticians of Ontario
- How do we get what we need? How do we go where we need to go?
- How do we make the best of what we have?
- Managing change
Optimizing the Board / Staff Relationship
Claudia Newman, NCA Associates
- Defining and respecting boundaries
- Governance versus management ("separation of Church and State")
Volunteer Boards/Councils – Is There a Better Way?
Bruce Matthews, Deputy Registrar, Regulatory Compliance, Real Estate Council of Ontario
Notes from Workshop Session Discussions
- Recruitment issues
- Diversity issues
- Characteristics of a good board/council candidate
Workshop session topics may include:
- The role of laypeople on boards/councils
- Dealing with large boards/council - Does size matter?
- Dealing with the difficult board/council member
- Dealing with the "constituency" mindset
- What role should member/registrant interests play in governance?
- Regulating strategically