Ethiopia: research on hiring bodies for health professionals

A study was conducted in Ethiopia to analyze the licensing practices of healthcare professional hiring bodies. "One-fifth of recruiting bodies (20.55%) had experience in hiring health professionals without a license. Moreover, 136 (37.3%) of the health professional hiring bodies had a mechanism in place to verify the license's originality, of which, 40 (29.4%) said they found fake licenses during recruitment. Fifty-seven (15.62%) of respondents had seen a health professional being recruited without a license in their institution, and 40 (10.9%) had taken part in the recruitment of health professionals without a license. Two hundred and eleven (60.5%) of the hiring bodies had never attended or conducted training about health professionals' licenses in their institution.

About 56% of the health professional hiring bodies of Ethiopia were found to have good licensing practices and the rest 44% have poor licensing practices while recruiting health professionals in their institutions."

Read more